We had a natural disaster. We had a massive, hellish ice storm and blizzard that hit the entire eastern part of this state. Let's take stock:
– Tens of thousands of people were without electricity, warm food and adequate water.
– Some of those tens of thousands had no water at all because the pumps ran on electricity.
– Shelters were opened and people had to be transported to them, sometimes on the backs of snowmobiles.
– Many people died. Many others were injured trying to clean up after the storm, or while trying to help others during the storm.
– A week later, tens of thousands of people still do not have power, hot meals or adequate water.
Now let's take stock of what didn't happen:
– Number of rapes and murders that occurred in shelters during the disaster: ZERO
– Number of stores that were looted: ZERO
– Number of $2,000 debt cards distributed to people affected by the storm: ZERO
– Number of people whining about how all this happened because George Bush hates Hutterites/Scandinavians/Generic White Guys: ZERO!! ZIP!! NADA!! Not a damned soul!
Now, obviously, one cannot really compare the blizzard to Hurricane Katrina. However, when our Governor heard of the storm, he responded. He made sure people were off the Interstate and closed it down. As opposed to having resources available before the storm and deciding not to do diddly about it. Our Governor punished people who were stupid enough to go out in the storm and get stuck by sending their moronic behinds to jail. As opposed to enabling them by saying, "You're right. It's not your fault. Um…no, not mine, either. It's THE GOVERNMENT! That's it! The Government!"
New Orleans will never be the same again. We will recover. Obviously, they had it a million times worse than we did. And very good people tried their best in terrible conditions. This post is not aimed at them.
No, this post for the yahoos like the Governor of Louisiana who could have done something before people were injured and stranded and didn't, then chose to blame someone else for their mistakes. This post is for the people who took those $2,000 debt cards and bought bid screen TVs, but still bitched about not having food and water. This is for the absolute Darwin-esque losers who shot at the helicopters that were trying to clean up Kathleen Blanco's mess.
Oh, and for our local refugees from New Orleans? Well done, folks. You withstood a northern winter storm in true style. And didn't whine about it for a second.